Monday, September 24, 2007

What I learned from a horse

I've heard that horses are very intuitive animals and I've seen programs on TV about horses and how some horses are used in therapy sessions, and also have the ability to reach out to children with autism. So, when my friend and co-worker, Gloria told me about an opportunity to be with horses I wanted to be a part of it. All I knew was that I was going to be part of a group setting in an Equine Guided Education class.

The drive was about 1 1/2 hours from my house. One thing I love about living in the Bay Area is that even a short drive of about an hour or so can bring you into a whole different scenery. If you can imagine this, the view was of rolling hills and the weather was beautiful. When I arrived at the ranch, I didn't know what to expect from the class. Little did I know that after a few hours with the horses, I would learn so much about myself. It was an experience I will treasure forever in my heart.

This was a first for me, as I've never been around or near a horse. I was so afraid of them because of what I've seen in the movies. The most typical scene that comes to my mind is when horses get rattled they would kick or stand on their hind legs. I didn't want to be in the midst of that type of chaos. But I learned that horses can be gentle and playful creatures.

I spent some time alone with one horse. I walked him and he followed. This might not sound like a big deal, but for someone who has never been around horses at all, it was a big deal to me! He helped me discover my weaknesses and my hidden strengths. Through this awareness I feel like a changed person. There are no words that can express how this experience has affected me.



With Gloria's birthday around the corner, I wanted to make a stationery set for her. The Birthday Wishes sentiment is SU!



This horse is part of the Happy Trails stamp set by TAC, The Angel Company. When I saw this stamp set in the TAC catalog, I just knew I would make good use of it. I used versamark, pastels and Coffee Bean Brilliance pigment ink.

If you've had a similar experience with horses, I would love to hear your story. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: